You don’t have to change for people.
You are beautiful how you are.
You are accepted how you are.
You are loved how you are.
You are chosen how you are.
You are enough, my dear.
When the world says you need to fit into this little box, know that that box isn’t everything. Fitting into that box won’t bring complete fullness. Fitting into that box won’t make you any more worthy of love. Fitting into that box won’t make you feel complete.
I’ve been there, I’ve walked through that, I’ve let others define who I am and who I am not. Heck, I’m still there some days.
Here’s what we have to learn, though :
“Status, culture, or language mean nothing in light of eternity. Race, age, and life experiences fade away.” –Daring to Hope
Even if you put your everything into being accepted by a group of people, it will not fulfill you.
Friend, you are more than what people say about you. You are more than what that specific person says about you or what they don’t. He defines you. His words define you.
You be you.
Let yourself free of the bondage of trying to be a specific way. You are uniquely gifted, uniquely loved, and uniquely His. Nobody can change that or take it away. See the darkness, but don’t be consumed by it. Breathe. You are enough in all circumstances. Nothing will be too much when your eyes are fully fixed. Trust Him in that.
I was planning to go back to Germany for the next year, but then I just felt led to stay rather than just going away again. I had to receive His perspective to see that yes, there are plenty of reasons to go and spread the name of Jesus, but there are also so many reasons to spread the name of Jesus by being love in my house and in my church. There wasn’t a flashing billboard that told me whether I should go or stay, but there were plenty of people telling me that I should + shouldn’t go,. People will speak to you, even when it’s not their place, and they’ll tell you what you should do with your life.
But it’s up to you to choose whether you’ll listen to Him or them.
“The heart of man plans his way,
but the Lord establishes his steps.” Proverbs 16:9
Darling friend, don’t give up when someone says you should.
Don’t give up when you feel there’s no hope anymore.
Don’t give up when you feel like God’s not speaking.
Instead, listen to Him, listen to what the Bible says you are and speak it over yourself as truth, because that’s what it is.
- I am kind and tenderhearted to others. I forgive them as God in Christ has forgiven me (Ephesians 4:32).
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13).
I ask God to set a guard over my mouth. He keeps watch over the door of my lips (Psalm 141:3).
- I let the peace of Christ rule in my heart. As a member of one body, I am called to peace and I am thankful (Colossians 3:15 NIV).
- I walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, pleasing Him in all respects. I bear fruit in every good work and I am increasing in the knowledge of God (Colossians 1:10 NAS).
- I am being strengthened with all power according to His might. I have great endurance and patience (Colossians 1:11 NIV).
- God has not given me a spirit of fear. He gives me power, love, and self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7 ESV).
- The joy of the LORD is my strength (Nehemiah 8:10).
- I am confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in me will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:6).
- God works in me both to will and to do His good pleasure (Philippians 2:13).
Sweet friend, be strong knowing that He is the rock that you stand on.
He upholds you, He loves you, He’s for you.
He is everything you need, even on the days that is hard to believe.
He loves you, even on the days you don’t even love yourself, I promise.